Apple announces investment fund for climate change

The technology company will seek to address the elimination of carbon through 200 million dollars launched together with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs

Apple announced a carbon removal initiative, called “Restore Fund”, through which it will invest in forestry projects to remove carbon from the atmosphere together with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs, for 200 million dollars.

“Nature provides some of the best tools to remove carbon from the atmosphere. Forests or wetlands extract carbon from the atmosphere and store it permanently in their soils, roots and branches”, says Lisa Jackson, Vice President of Environment, Policy and Apple Social Initiatives.

This effort is part of the company’s broader goal of being carbon neutral throughout its value chain by 2030. While the company intends to directly eliminate 75 % of emissions from its supply chain and products by this date , the Fund will help offset the remaining 25 % of the Cupertino company’s emissions.

To ensure that carbon stored in forests is accurately quantified and permanently locked out of the atmosphere, the Restoration Fund will use robust international standards developed by recognized organizations such as Verra, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, and the United Nations Convention on Climate Change. the weather. Likewise, investments in exploited forests that improve biodiversity through the creation of buffer zones and nature reserves will be prioritized.

“Investing in nature can remove carbon much more effectively, and much earlier, than any other technology today. As the world grapples with the global threat posed by climate change, we need new innovative approaches that can dramatically reduce emissions “, defends Dr. M. Sanjayan, CEO of Conservation International.

These efforts are in addition to other announcements by the US company, which a few weeks ago announced that more than a hundred suppliers around the world will switch to using renewable energy as part of the commitment made in 2020 to be carbon neutral by 2030.

K. Tovar

Source: dpa

Comments are closed.